Help your first graders master key math skills, and provide differentiated math practice through fun, hands-on activities in these 12 centers. Each full-color center focuses on a skill from a Common Core State Standards math domain, such as numbers and counting, operations, measurement and data, and geometry.
The easy-to-assemble centers are stored in pocket folders, making them easy to use at a table, desk, or quiet area in the classroom. After a teacher or classroom aide models how to use a center, students can complete the activity independently, in pairs, or with the teacher, who may use the task to informally assess a student’s understanding.
Each of the 12 centers includes:
Take It to Your Seat: Common Core Math Centers has been updated to address the new advanced standards and provides:
- full-color center mats and task cards
- an overview with lesson objectives
- a student direction page that explains the center activity
- a written practice activity
- a center checklist to record each student’s progress
The 12 centers cover the following first grade math skills: Numbers and Counting
- an increase in the variety and complexity of activities to practice each skill in alignment with Common Core State Standards.
- leveled tasks within some centers so that tasks progress in difficulty from level 1 to level 2 or level 3.
- an illustrated math concept or rule for every center to support visual learners and keep the focus on the targeted math concept or skill.
- Sequence numbers within 120
- Know place values in two-digit numbers
- Compare numbers within 100, using greater than, less than, and equal to symbols
- Count by 2s, 5s, and 10s
Measurement and Data
- Apply the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction in facts to 10
- Add numbers with sums to 20
- Subtract numbers with differences less than 20
- Measure length in nonstandard units
- Tell time to the hour and half hour
- Build and read a bar graph
- Identify shapes by the number of sides and corners
- Divide shapes into two or four equal parts