Land, Water, and Sky for Grades K–2 from Hands-On Science for British Columbia completely aligns with BC’s New Curriculum for science. Grounded in the Know-Do-Understand model, First Peoples knowledge and perspectives, and student-driven scientific inquiry, this custom-written resource:
- emphasizes Core Competencies, so students engage in deeper and lifelong learning
- develops Curricular Competencies as students explore science through hands-on activities
- fosters a deep understanding of the Big Ideas in science
Using proven Hands-On features, Land, Water, and Sky for Grades K–2 contains information and materials for both teachers and students including: Curricular Competencies correlation charts; background information on the science topics; complete, easy-to-follow lesson plans; reproducible student materials; and materials lists.
Innovative new elements have been developed specifically for the new curriculum:
- a multi-age approach
- a five-part instructional process—Engage, Explore, Expand, Embed, Enhance
- an emphasis on technology, sustainability, and personalized learning
- a fully developed assessment plan for summative, formative, and student self-assessment
- a focus on real-life Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies
- learning centres that focus on multiple intelligences and universal design for learning (UDL)
- place-based learning activities, Makerspaces, and Loose Parts
In Land, Water, and Sky for Grades K–2 students investigate characteristics of the land, water, and sky. Core Competencies and Curricular Competencies will be addressed while students explore the following Big Ideas:
- Daily and seasonal changes affect all living things.
- Observable patterns and cycles occur in the local sky and landscape.
- Water is essential to all living things, and it cycles through the environment.
Other Hands-On Science for British Columbia books for grades K–2
Properties of Matter
Properties of Energy
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.